By Rudolf Pell Gaudio
- The first ethnographic examine of sexual minorities in Africa, and considered one of only a few works on sexual minorities within the Islamic world
- Engagingly written, combining leading edge, ethnographic narrative with analyses of sociolinguistic transcripts, historic texts, and well known media, together with video, movie, newspapers, and song-poetry
- Analyzes the social studies and expressive tradition of ‘yan daudu (feminine males in Nigerian Hausaland) relating to neighborhood, nationwide, and worldwide debates over gender and sexuality on the flip of the twenty-first century
- Winner of the 2009 Ruth Benedict Prize within the class of "Outstanding Monograph"
Read or Download Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (New Directions in Ethnography) PDF
Best psychology of sexuality books
Intercourse in improvement examines how improvement tasks around the globe meant to advertise inhabitants administration, sickness prevention, and maternal and baby wellbeing and fitness deliberately and by accident form rules approximately what constitutes “normal” sexual practices and identities. From intercourse schooling in Uganda to aids prevention in India to family members making plans in Greece, quite a few websites of improvement paintings regarding intercourse, sexuality, and replica are tested within the wealthy, ethnographically grounded essays during this quantity.
First released in 1981, this identify takes a ‘sociobiological’ method of the exploration of sexual behavior, the basic organic nature of people. The e-book covers the spectrum of human sexuality, contemplating love and marriage, version sexuality and social affects. it is a worthwhile reissue for any scholar of sexual psychology or cultural and evolutionary anthropology with an curiosity within the basic affects on human sexuality.
The Politics of Gender and the tradition of Sexuality outlines theories of gender in the highbrow paradigm of the triple background: Islam, Africanity, and the West. This booklet describes the influence of person contexts and politics on meanings attributed to the human physique. The Politics of Gender and the tradition of Sexuality explores how women and men relate to one another in monogamous and polygamous marriage, race rivalries, slavery, miscegenation, cultures of procreation, relatives making plans, and the Islamic view of women’s dignity vis-à-vis the Western view of women’s liberty.
An important, exceptionally nuanced portrait of a survivor, 'The Inheritance of Shame' will switch lives. — GARRARD CONLEY, writer of 'Boy Erased: A Memoir' writer Peter Gajdics spent six years in a strange type of conversion treatment that tried to “cure” him of his homosexuality. stored with different sufferers in a cult-like domestic in British Columbia, Canada, Gajdics used to be below the authority of a dominating, rogue psychiatrist who managed his sufferers, partly, via developing and exploiting a fake experience of relations.
- Sexual Life In Ancient India V2: A Study in the Comparative History of Indian Culture (Kegan Paul Library of Sexual Life)
- Sex Cultures (Cultural Sociology)
- Sexo 3.0 (Spanish Edition)
- Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture (Christian Association for Psychological Studies Books)
Extra resources for Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (New Directions in Ethnography)
Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City (New Directions in Ethnography) by Rudolf Pell Gaudio